Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hide and Seek

This morning Kate woke up happy and ready to play. It was all I could do to get her to drink her bottle and eat a cereal bar before she was crawling under the sheets on my bed, chasing Trip from one corner to the next, and giving him "kisses" that look much more like a bite than a sweet little peck. Next, I was her entertainment. We spent 5 to 10 minutes pulling the covers over our heads and laughing when she pulled them off. Although I love playing with Kate and could have kept playing that silly game for an hour the fun had to be put on pause so that I could get ready for the day. I put Kate down on the floor so she could do her regular exploring around the bathroom and bedroom (you know, pulling all the toilet paper rolls out of the drawer, finding Daddy's Scope and carrying it around, standing on the scale so she can try to climb into the tub, etc.) while I showered and dried my hair. After a few moments of unusual quietness I noticed Kate wasn't in my immediate view so I started to look for her. Little did I know that she was still playing... I checked the closet, no Kate, I walked back through the bathroom, no Kate, glanced around the bedroom on both mine and J's side, no Kate, quickly checked under the high chair (she loves sitting under there for some reason), no Kate, by the dog bowl, no Kate, in the laundry room, no Kate...ok, you get the picture, I'm getting a little freaked out by now. I hear a little squeal from my bedroom and then a thump. I turn the corner and here is what I saw...

A foot and a hand sticking out from UNDER the middle of my bed! When I bent down to let her know that she had been found I realized that she had found something of her own while she was under there.
Chapstick! There is no telling how long it has been there (Trip probably stashed it away after going through my purse one day!). How gross! And of course it's in her mouth! After I quickly confiscated the "treasure" she had found Kate decided the game was over and unveiled how she got into her little hiding spot.
Laying flat on her belly, head turned sideways (bobbing up and down a little, hence the "thump" I heard earlier) she wormed her way under the foot railing back out into the open.

She ended the game with a smile. Almost as if to say..."Hey mom! What took you so long? I thought you were never going to find me." And that was our first official game of hide-and-seek!



3 comments:

Bev said...

Kora-Bell

I LOVE the new blog (even though I didn't know what a blog was till your dad told me). Thanks for sharing your little bundle of joy with us. I look foward to more and more joy in the future!!

Love ya,
Aunt Bev

Carsons in Augusta, GA said...

Funny!!!! You have a little prankster on your hands!
Love,
Aunt Angie

Mandy said...

So cute! Look at that blonde hair!